Uber’s Global Director of Social Impact on how Maria Shriver changed her career – Ladders

Written by Hilary Sheinbaum

As Global Director of Social Impact at UberJulia Paige hit the ground running (or should we say, driving?) when she joined the company in February 2020.

The very next month, as the Coronavirus pandemic took hold in the U.S. and changed life as we know it, Paige courageously began navigating the brand’s response: a commitment to provide 10 million free rides and food delivery to those in need.

Between her leadership and this responsive activation, Paige’s tenure has already positively contributed to redefining Uber’s community presence.

Paige, who is based in San Francisco, isn’t a stranger to tough jobs. After growing up in Columbus, Ohio, graduating from St. Mary’s College in Maryland and earning her MBA from The University of Michigan, she started her career as an assistant at ICM Partners, a talent agency.

“I graduated from business school, expecting to earn a nice salary, and here I was answering phones, delivering mail and getting coffee for basically minimum wage,” said Paige. “I thought I wanted to be an agent, but quickly decided that it was not for me. I told myself I had to stay a year, and at exactly the year mark, I started looking for another job.”

The next gig introduced her to journalist and activist Maria Shriver — while working at NBC — which changed Paige’s career trajectory and her perspective as a whole.

“Working for Maria was a different type of graduate school. I learned so much from her. And I will forever be grateful for the experience of working in news,” said Paige. “While I was at NBC, I saw it all: from political conventions to the aftermath of mass shootings, to so many heartwarming and heart-wrenching stories. I saw the best and worst of the human condition.”

Read on for more life lessons, perspective-shifting epiphanies and career tips from Uber’s Global Director of Social Impact — including how she got to where she is today.

Click here to read more.

By Maria Ordonez
Maria Ordonez Profile Picture