Top 5 Tips from a Graduating Senior!

TOP 5 TIPS FROM A GRADUATING SENIOR

By Ameera Hammouda

1. Be responsible, but don’t forget to: Eat out too much, hang out with friends too much, and explore Boston WAY too much.

One of my favorite quotes from Tom Petty helps sum it up: “You have four years to be irresponsible. Relax. Work is for people with jobs. You’ll never remember class time, but you’ll remember the time you spent hanging out with your friends. So, stay out late. Go out on a Tuesday with your friends. Spend money you don’t have. The work never ends, but college does.”

1. Get to know your campus.

When I say this I don’t just mean the physical campus. Yes, go explore new study spots on campus, but more importantly, go grab lunch with your advisors, get to know the dining hall staff, and be friendly with professors. They all have so much wisdom to share and these are relationships that can last beyond collegiate years.

1. Intern for free if you have too.

I know you want something you enjoy and that pays. Sometimes you get both, sometimes you have to make a sacrifice. The experience, in the long run, is more important in helping you get that full-time job. If you’re caught between one paid and one un-paid internship, take the one most relevant to your career goals, so long as your financial situation allows it. For example, if you want to work as a journalist but can only find writing internships that are unpaid, take those and not the well-paid internship in an industry you don’t want to work in.

1. Try new things. Try everything.

College is the only time where you can have every profession you’ve ever dreamed of all at once. You can be a rock star in your own band, model for FAB, be a broadcaster for WTBU, act on a sitcom, write for the paper, AND be a business student all at once. After graduation, you’ll have to settle for maybe one or two professions at a time, so do it all while you can.

1. Learn to Budget.

While I haven’t mastered this yet myself, I still have a semester left to do so. And remember, you don’t have to be in it alone. The university has resources such as Smart Money 101 to help you. Enjoy college, do what you what, and like I said eat out too much, but remember to be wise with your spending. Eventually you’ll have much greater expenses like rent or loans, and maybe your parents will cut down the ever-growing money tree, so it’s better to figure it out with the miniscule expenses you have now.

Overall, trust me when I tell you that it will all be over way too soon, so experience as much as you can, do as much as you can, eat as much as you can, and enjoy as much as you can.

By Trish Harper
Trish Harper ASSISTANT DIRECTOR, UNDERGRADUATE CAREER ADVISING Profile Picture