This resource is from Learn Educate Discover (learneducatediscover.com)
This week we are sharing a discussion on a career in sustainability, an area with growing interest these days. And of course, lots of other great resources for you to enjoy and ponder over. Read on.
1. Explore a Career Sustainable Innovation, Jad Finck, VP Innovation & Sustainability @Allbirds: Jad Finck, VP of Innovation and Sustainability at Silicon Valley based eco-friendly woolen shoes company, Allbirds ($27.5M in funding so far), shares his thoughts on what working in Sustainability is like.
Jad has a B.S. in Mechanical Engineering from Stanford University, and MBA in Finance and Strategy, from University of Southern California, Marshall School of Business.
Jad will soon be hiring for his team, keep a lookout for openings on the Allbirds careers page here: www.allbirds.com/pages/careers If you’re interested in applying for a full time job or short term project/internship, drop us an email with your resume and a few lines on why you are interested, at email@example.com, so that we can share your resume with Jad.
In this episode, Jad touches upon:
- What is Sustainable Innovation
- Examples of projects – Scouting for new materials, Lifecycle Assessment, etc.
- Types of activities a Sustainability expert might be work on during a project
- Interesting and challenging aspects of the job
- How to assess importance of the sustainability function at a company by talking to people at the company – does it come up without you prompting them on it?
- How to stand out during recruiting – Have a point of view on what would you do if you were at the company
2. Work On Important Problems – Talk by Mathematician Richard Hamming: A wonderful lecture to watch, titled “You and Your Research”. Richard Hamming was an American Mathematician whose work impacted both computer engineering and telecommunications. In this talk, he touches upon many aspects of a successful career, from working on important problems, to leading a well-examined life. This is the transcript if you’d rather read.
3. How I got my first Valley-based Product Management job in 5 Weeks – Post by Group Product Manager at LinkedIn: Super detailed post by Nitin Julka, GPM at LinkedIn on how he went about his job search in the valley. Whether you are recruiting for PM roles or not, you can apply a lot of these elements to your own job search.
4. Share your networking tips with LED: How do you connect with people you want to connect with? Do you have a way to frame cold emails? Have you found some ways of starting a conversation with a stranger at an event very effective? Are there any resources or events that you’ve found helpful? Or do you avoid “networking” altogether? Share your tips here and we will feature them in our newsletter.
5. Quote of the week: “Try not to become a man of success, but rather try to become a man of value.” ~ Albert Einstein